We wish to express our heartfelt thanks to all who attended the Celebration of Life for Steve Tscherne last month. It was a wonderful turnout, and we were amazed to see all the people gathered there whose lives have been touched by Coach Steve and the NJTP. The outpouring of love and support from everyone was just incredible!
We want to give special thanks to all those who helped put the celebration together, including:
- Gloria Santana for organizing the food, setting up the tables and chairs and decorating them
- Emmanuel and Felice Achille for putting together the photo-montage video, and helping with the sign-in sheet and donations box
- Bruno Marcy for bringing the wonderful cakes from his bakery, Pascal Patisserie in Woodland Hills
- Celine Soprano for having Steve’s on-court plaque made
- Richard Abraham for spearheading the campaign to rename the courts at El Cariso in Steve’s honor, and getting over 300 signatures to petition the City to approve it
- Miguel Gonzales for providing and running the audio system
- All the staff at El Cariso Park who helped set up the room and take it all down afterward
- Curtis Johnson and family and everyone else who stayed late to help us clean up
Very special thanks to those who spoke about Steve and shared their memories of him: David Tscherne, Ron McCabe, Henry Bryant, Philip Siordia, Ruben Mejorado and Miguel Gonzalez, and Anna for reading Steve’s poem during the dedication on the courts, and Reverend Mike for his sense of humor and his touching words as he led the celebration.
And another huge thank-you to all the UPS people who attended — you guys and gals are a big part of the NJTP family, and we appreciate your support tremendously!
Finally, we greatly appreciate everyone who contributed donations, which totaled over $8,000 — that was another unexpected and wonderful surprise! These funds will be used to help pay for our students’ tournament fees. This was one of Steve’s last wishes — to help the program so that it can help the kids in our community.