Here’s a checklist of things you should bring to any competitive match:
- Spare racquet, if you have one. You never know when you might break a string.
- Enough water and snacks to last as long as the match lasts.
- For a daytime match, bring sunblock and sunglasses and/or a tennis hat for protection from the sun.
- If weather dictates, bring a sweater or other layer to keep warm while you play.
- Spare shoelaces. It’s no fun having to forfeit a match because your shoelace broke and your shoe is flopping around!
- Spare overgrip. (Watch this video to learn how to change your overgrip)
- Spare socks and clothes, in case you are playing more than one match that day.
- Spare racquet dampeners, if you use them.
- Pen or pencil for writing down scores.
- Eye drops, spare contact lenses and/or spare eyeglasses.
- First aid items – bandages, wraps, compression bands, Advil or other pain reliever, Kleenex.
- Net height measuring chain.
Next: Player Etiquette