At many tennis clubs, proper tennis attire is a requirement, and you might not be allowed to play if you are not dressed properly! It’s always a good idea to check the dress code where you are going to play, but here are some general rules:
Mainly for Boys:
- Collared shirts are required at certain tennis clubs – check before you go!
- Shorts must have a pocket to hold a spare ball while serving.
Mainly for Girls:
- No sports bras worn alone – you must wear a shirt over it.
- No bare midriff when your arms are at rest.
- Stretch pants, Capris or shorts may not be worn alone – they must be covered by regular shorts or a skirt.
- You must have a pocket, ball clip, band or other place to hold a spare ball while serving.
- It’s best to wear plain-color clothes, clothes with an athletic brand logo, or clothes that are tennis-themed.
- No clothing with references to drugs, sex, alcohol, smoking, violence or foul language.
- No ripped or cut off shorts or T-shirts.
- No tank tops (although sleeveless tennis shirts are sometimes allowed – check before wearing them!)
Here are some example tennis club dress code rules: